May is Cancer Research Month
I wanted to put together a post with a bunch of helpful sites for general information on cancer. I also wanted to include sites for emotional support, financial needs, transportation needs, housing/lodging, children’s services and home health care/hospice.
Cancer- A brief overview
Cancer- A disease in which an abnormal, unregulated growth of cells divide uncontrollably and destroy body tissue. The cells can ultimately spread to vital organs.
Major Cancer Types:
- Carcinonmas- these are the most common cancers such as breast, lung and colon cancers. These cancers invade surrounding tissues and organs and can spread to lymph nodes and other parts of the body.
- Melanomas- these are the most serious types of skin cancer. They initially appear on the surface of the skin as a change in shape, color or feel of a mole.
- Leukemias- these are more common in children then adults, they account for about 25% of all childhood cancers. They are immature cells arising in bone marrow that should have become functioning white blood cells.
- Lymphomas- these arise in lymph nodes and other tissues of the body’s immune system. Lymphoid tissues include tonsils, adenoids, spleen, thymus and bone marrow.
- Sarcomas- these are rare cancers, accounting for about 1% of all cancers. They grow from cells in bones, cartilage, joints, muscle, fat, nerves, deep skin tissues and blood vessels.
General Sites for information about Cancer:
American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/
American Institute For Cancer Research: http://www.aicr.org/
Association Of Cancer Online Resources: http://www.acor.org/
Cancer Care: http://www.cancercare.org/
Cancer Hope Network: http://cancerhopenetwork.org/
Family Caregiver Alliance: https://caregiver.org/
Caregiver Action Network: http://www.caregiveraction.org/
Cancer Support Community: http://www.cancersupportcommunity.org/
Financial, Transportation and Housing Needs:
Angel Flight: http://www.angelflight.com/
Catholic Charities USA: http://catholiccharitiesusa.org/
Corporate Angel Network: http://www.corpangelnetwork.org/
The Max Foundation: http://www.themaxfoundation.org/
National Association of Hospital Hospitality Houses (NAHHH): http://www.nahhh.org/
National Patient Travel Center: http://www.patienttravel.org/
Partnership for Prescription Assistance (PPA): https://www.pparx.org/
Patient Access Network Foundation (PANF): https://www.panfoundation.org/
Patient Services Inc. (PSI): http://www.patientservicesinc.org/
Ronald McDonald House Charities: http://www.rmhc.org/
United Way Of America: http://www.unitedway.org/
Visting Nurse Associations Of America (VNAA): http://www.vnaa.org/
Children’s Cause For Cancer Advocacy (CCCA): http://childrenscause.org/
Children’s Hospice International (CHI): http://www.chionline.org/
Children’s Organ Transplant Association (COTA): http://cota.org/
CureSearch National Childhood Cancer Foundation: http://curesearch.org/
Kids Konnected: http://kidskonnected.org/
Make-A-Wish Foundation Of America: http://wish.org/ (Also for Adults- Dream Foundation: http://dreamfoundation.org/)
National Children’s Cancer Society (NCCS): http://nationalchildrenscancersociety.org/
Starlight Starbright Children’s Foundation: http://starlight.org/
National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC): http://www.nahc.org/
American Hospice Foundation: http://americanhospice.org/
Hospice Education Institute: http://hospiceworld.org/
Hospice Foundation Of America (HFA): http://hospicefoundation.org/
International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care (IAHPC): http://hospicecare.com/home/
National Association For Home Care and Hospice (NAHC): http://www.nahc.org/
National Hospice & Palliative Care Organization: http://www.nhpco.org/
Also if you haven’t already read the previous posts please take the time out to go read!